How to change file permissions?
The first question, which you are experiencing, is what is “file permissions”? File permissions is a special access code that lets know to UNIX (including Linux and other UNIX variants) what operations with files server can do. There are three types of access:
- Read - Denoted as r, files with read access can be displayed to the user.
- Write - Denoted as w, files with write access can be modified by the user.
- Execute - Denoted as x, files with execute access can be executed as programs by the user.
Above access types are set for three types of user group:
- User - The owner of the file.
- Group - Other files which are in the same folder or group.
- World - Everyone else.
Your Joomla server needs to be able to read pages of the website in order to be able to display them in a browser. To make your website works excellent and to protect it you should set right file permissions, to do that, check the list below:
- All HTML files and images need to be readable by others. The file permissions for this is 644 (readable by User, Group and World, and writable by User). It is set automatically when you upload files.
- All folders need to be executable by others. The file permissions for this is 755 (readable by User, Group and World, writable by User, executable by User, Group and World). It is set automatically when you create a folder.
- All CGI files (all files in the cgi-bin folder) need to be executable by other. The file permissions for this is 755 (readable by User, Group, and World, writable by User, executable by User, Group, and World). It is not set automatically when you upload files. You need to change file permissions manually.
How to change file permissions manually
Open your File Manager(FileZilla) and find the file or folder that you need to change.
Right click on the needed folder and in the dropdown menu choose "File Permissions".
Click on the check boxes that you need to create the right permission. The permission numbers underneath the check boxes will update automatically.
Click on the Change Permissions button when you are ready. The new permission level is saved and the display updated to show the modified file.
Find more information about how to secure your webiste in Joomla Security section.